Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy my blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Predators!

I don't know what to think! I don't know what is worse! We live out in the county but still in a neighborhood, we have neighbors beside us, with the exception of an empty house on the market, we have a neighbor behind us with a deep lot which is cornered by businesses, we have a candle factory not big mind you but busy, then an auto body shop not open to the public a contractors shop of some sorts and a distribution center for portable things or something like that. Anyway, our yard is rather large and completely fenced in, we have 1 huge main gate that is by the driveway side of the house and a smaller gate on the other side of the house plus a smaller gate on the back fence which leads into our neighbors yard. I think I painted a pretty good picture of how our yard lays.

About predators. We have all kinds around us but we have not seen any personally, only a couple of times have we seen evidence of their passing, a foot print, droppings, fur etc. We have hawks, owls, bobcats, coyotes, possums, skunks, raccoons, stray dogs, cougars, foxes, rats. I know in the natural order of things they need to eat and everything loves eggs and chickens. I don't want to ever lose a chicken to anything so I think we maintain a safe haven for our girls.






But the biggest predator that bothers me is the 2-legged kind. Honestly, if you are that hungry or that desperate and need food all you have to do is ask. I have been finding the hen house door open and unlatched. I make rounds at night before I go to bed and the first thing I do in the morning is grab my coffee and let the girls out of their run to free range for a bit. We have been missing some eggs and I just don't want to wake up and be missing my girls!

I guess it is time to buy locks and lock them up good but if they are that desperate they will go right through that window, there is no way of locking the window. 

No comments:

Post a Comment